Here are some frequently asked questions about EHC Flight Academy. Please dont hesitate to get in touch if you can´t find the answer to your question!

How is the training at EHC organized and structured? 

  • We have a staff of dedicated, results-oriented teachers and instructors qualified to teach the various specializations offered. We limit the number of students to 20 per class. The primary objective is to make certain that each and every student fully absorbs and understands the subject material. Multiple choice tests are conducted in order to determine whether or not the theory has been understood. This serves as a check on the individual student’s general learning progress. Should special attention or assistance be required, it will be provided.
  • The school’s location at a busy airport provides a very relevant and challenging training environment. The classroom experience is naturally balanced and integrated with daily practical exposure to aspects such as radio communications, air traffic control (ATC), safety procedures, traffic patterns and an awareness of one’s relation to other aircraft in the same airspace, etc.
  • There are also field bases and training areas used for practical development of advanced skills in a range of specialties, such as mountain flying and various “bush” and confined area operations. Senior students are also given the opportunity to fly as “trainees” with our transport department on “real” commercial operations when appropriate and possible.


What are the helicopter pilot career opportunities for graduates? 

  • EHC has been training helicopter pilots since 1994, and is the main supplier of pilots to Norwegian helicopter companies. We try to stay in touch with our former students and have found that more than 85% are presently employed as pilots. There tends to be high market demand for these skills, and there is currently an acute shortage of qualified helicopter pilots in several parts of the world. The demand for the services that helicopters provide is steadily increasing, both in society at large and in industry, all around the world – a trend that provides a promising outlook for the pilot job market.


I have seen abbrevations like: EASA, JAA, FAA, CAA, ICAO – what do they stand for? 

  • EASA – European Union Aviation Safety Agency is an agency of the European Union with responsibility for civil aviation safety
  • JAA – Joint Aviation Authorities is the common European Aviation Authority that sets the rules and regulations (JAR – Joint Aviation Regulations) for all aviation activities, including training and licences, in more than 30 European countries.
  • FAA – Federal Aviation Administration is the US aviation authority that sets the rules and regulations (FAR – Federal Aviation Regulations) for all aviation activities, including training and licences, in the USA.
  • CAA – Civil Aviation Authority is the national civil aviation authority in individual countries responsible for enforcement and administration of the country’s aviation laws, regulations, licences and activities. In Norway, this authority is the Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) – “Luftfartstilsynet” in Norwegian.
  • ICAO – International Civil Aviation Organization is a UN body responsible for the basic international aviation regulatory framework and multilateral agreements for all worldwide civil aviation activities.

What are the different types of pilot licences – and what are they for? 

There are generally three levels of pilot licences; for detailed information, see EASA Part FCL licensing regulations.



In addition, there are various “Ratings” associated with the licences, which add more privileges. The various Ratings require additional theoretical training, exams, flight training and a final checkride with a CAA examiner. For example: IR – Instrument rating, FI – Flight instructor rating, TR – Type rating, ME – Multi-engine.


If I get a licence in the USA or another country outside Europe, how easy will it be for me to get a job when I return?  

In the past, it was common practice to study in the USA and get a FAA pilot licence, due to the lower prices and more job opportunities. Following the introduction of EASA in Europe, pilots holding non-European licenses must complete a EASA theory course, exams and skill tests to get a EASA licence. EASA licence conversion is time-consuming and will most likely end up costing more than the money initially saved by studying outside Europe.


Does EHC provide accomodation for its students? 

Yes, on our blog “Life at EHC” will tell you more about the campus area.


How do I finance my training? 

Norwegian students usually obtain a private bank loan on reasonable terms, and they are also granted scholarship from the Norwegian Government. Some countries have government loans and grants for student pilots. Check with your national education authorities.


How long does it take to get a private helicopter pilot licence? 

According to the Part FCL requirements, you will need at least 45 hours of approved flight training to qualify for PPL(H). Based on many years’ experience, we have found that most students need the full 45 hours to achieve a safe, comfortable level of flying skills – and some need more hours. If we have a group of several PPL students starting at the same time, it may be possible to arrange intensive weekend courses in PPL theory at Torp Airport. We are flexible and always find a solution.

EHC can tailor flexible arrangements for PPL theoretical teaching and flight training to suit the needs and schedule of the student. However, in the interests of training continuity, steady learning progress and lesson retention, we recommend that students do not stretch the process over too long a period.

NOTE: Private study can be supplemented with distance learning via the internet and/or one-on-one or group instruction at EHC.


Contact us Helikopter